She Married Into Wine
May Is Oregon Wine Month
BIG, FAT RED RHODIES ring the entrance to our vineyard and Tasting Room. They are just magnificent. We wait for them each year…and they deliver! Even better, the Peonies, with their buds that look like little fairies still fast asleep, open in May and there is color everywhere.
What a great beginning for Oregon Wine Month, which begins on Sunday, the first of May. We get excited in May; it’s chock full of celebrations and it’s the month our music begins.
Let the celebrating begin … ta da ….wait for it…. With Big news about TROUBLE, one of our 2014 Pinots! It is a Cellar Select in the Oregon Wine Press! We’re pretty darned proud. Join Gemini – who congratulates his little brother (“I taught him everything he knows…”) and us as we tout this great achievement!
Here’s a snapshot of events for the month. We are open Friday – Sunday from Noon to 5:30 PM. If your plans include Tuesday – Thursday, we are open by appointment so just give us a call!
- This weekend, dial in for the great weather. Even bring a picnic.
- Saturday, May 7th – The Running of the 2016 Kentucky Derby. We get pretty excited about the Triple Crown races…especially now that we have a foal of the 1996 Kentucky Derby winner in our barn! Join the cheering with us…we’ll have the race on TV. Might make some key lime poundcake to go with.
- Sunday, May 8th – Mother’s Day and Buddy Evans brings his guitar and great voice to sing. Buddy played on the road with Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson and now brings his stories and songs to us. Moms taste free that day. Make it your Mother’s Day gift.
- Saturday, May 14th - Pouring in the Tasting Room AND we are pouring at the Seaside Wine Walk inside Sea Star Gelato. Sounds kind of delicious to us! Seaside Downtown Winewalks
- Sunday, May 15th – Jazz on the Patio. We transport you to Washington Square Park in NYC’s Greenwich Village….without the big city traffic or hassles…hear Jack Stern on saxophone and Bill French on keyboard. What a treat!
- Saturday, May 21st – Celebrate our Tenth Wedding Anniversary with us! A glass of wine for everyone! Our lovely friend and terrific musician, Robert Bernadelli, will treat us to his lilting music. Robert composes and plays keyboard and mandolin.
- Memorial Day Weekend, May 27th – 30th – And the season officially begins! Jazz on Saturday with Jack and Bill; the great duo Chris Baum and Dawn Fitzgerald on Sunday, performing everything from pop to Broadway and Bert Bachrach. A nice spread of hors d’oeuvres to pair with our wines all weekend. ALSO, we have family visiting from Alabama and Seattle so you get to meet them!
On Memorial Day weekend we’ll also be pouring at the Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville. They have two wine bars and we’ll be on the Space side, ready for take-off. If you’re heading to Oregon for a visit…the Aviation Museum is a great destination. It’s also right
near the Tillamook Cheese Factory!
Of course we will be open every weekend from noon to 5:30 PM and it’s always a party out here.
The Winery news is that Jim is bottling the 2015 whites and our Pinot blush, Rosey. They are delicious. Look for releases coming up.
What better time than NOW to plan visits to Oregon. Here’s a package you might enjoy: Zip, Sip and Stay – it combines extreme adventure at the Tree to Tree Adventure Zipline park, vibrant flavors with your winery visit, and peaceful rest on soft pillows at various sites. Available March through mid-November. http://www.zipsipstay.com/
All y’all come see us!
Holly and Jim
We now ship to fourteen locations. (Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia, Washington State, Washington DC.)
Holly and Jim
We got married in 2006 under a beautiful teahouse that Jim built for us. We've known each other for over 40 years … Holly was a not very good secretary to Jim way back in New York in the television production business. Jim was known as "The Myth" for all he was able to accomplish. He ran a scrappy new company that was involved in such notables as Sesame Street and The Electric Company, many of the Central Park Concerts – from Barbra Streisand to George Shearing. Jim was even business manager for KISS! Holly spent her life raising money for good works and writing.
In 2006, after a lot of life had intervened (ask us, we'll tell you), a mutual friend threw his Cupid's darts and urged us to have lunch. We were both living in the Pacific Northwest by then, although 200 miles apart; Holly - a city girl, Jim - a farm boy. Holly drove down to Oregon, had a lovely lunch, drove home and told Jim he was terrific but geographically undesirable.
Jim was persistent….and, suddenly, there we were standing in a beautiful spot in the Willamette Valley getting married! It really is romantic owning a vineyard! Now we are a wedding destination.